Saturday, May 28, 2011

Randoms

You know you are in the PC when you hear sentences/questions like this:
My counterpart’s monkey died today.
I wish that bat would come back to our house and eat all the new flying bug thingies that have started coming out of the ceiling….
How many parasites have you had? Any bacteria parasite combos? How many poop samples have you had to turn in?
You made out with your brother!? (referring to host brother here people …)
They are going to kill a pig for my family when they come to visit. Trust me, it’s kind of a big deal.
I had to kill a snake last month---it was in my pila (concrete water tank) and I couldn’t leave the house to get help because I was afraid the snake would get out and I wouldn’t know where it was.
Person A: Do you know if they have a bathroom here?
Person B: Yeah, it’s over there and it’s even got a toilet!
Person A: Wow!!!—I haven’t used a toilet in a really long time!

ALSO INTERESTING: ACCORDING TO A HANDOUT WE RECEIVE THESE ARE THE EMOTIONS WE WILL EXPERIENCE DURING OUR 2 YEAR AND 3 MONTH ROLLERCOASTER RIDE:

ANXIETY, LONELINESS, FEELING INCOMPETENT, NERVOUS, MORE ANXIETY, RESTLESSNESS, IRRITABILITY, LOW TOLERANCE FOR FRUSTRATION, FRIGHT, FRUSTRATION WITH SELF, LONELINESS AGAIN, WEIGHT AND HEALTH CHANGES, HOMESICKNESS, USELESSNESS, COMPARISON WITH OTHERS, MORE HOMESICKNESS, INTOLERANCE WITH HOST CULTURE,

IN OUR SECOND YEAR WHAT WE HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO:
IMPATIENCE WITH PROGRAM, SELF AND SYSTEM, CONSTANT COMPLAINING, LETHARGY, HAUGTINESS WITH NEW VOLUNTEERS, PROCRASTINATION, SELF RECRIMINATION, DISAPPOINTMENT, DOWNGRADE ACHIEVEMENTS, PANIC, MORE FRUSTRATION WITH SELF, MOODINESS, FRIGHT AGAIN, CONFUSION, MORE ANXIETY, ALIENATION, GIDDINESS, IMPATIENCE, …..

Well, I would have to put a check mark next to most of those already! I can see why they don’t hand this out prior to your departure! But it does sort of help to know that the feelings are normal (-:

And indeed, there ARE moments of positive feelings too---I have felt proud, loved, optimistic, motivated, joyous, and inspired some of the feelings among them. It just seems that you really have to hold out for these whereas the others just sort of smack you in the face all the time………but maybe that’s life no matter where you are or what you are doing, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment