Sunday, September 23, 2012

Nearing the End.

Wow, I cannot believe September is coming to a close! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Very important things that happened since last post: MY MOM CAME TO QUILALI!!! That's right, she took 5 days out of her life--3 of them pretty much purely dedicated travel days, to spend about 36 hours in Quilali. Ok, so I invited her to the Bottle Classroom Inauguration and she came! It was so amazing to have my Mom here--to see her see my life--and hug all my Nica friends and family. She met almost everyone in her short visit-the language barrier didn't matter--she was received like a rock star everywhere we went and was fed a lot (pretty common in Nica Land). She saw both of my high schools and met fellow professors, principals, the mayor of Quilali, my project construction foreman, most of my students, my best friends, my counterparts, fellow Peace Corps Volunteers and bosses, and my Nica family. She sat in my living room furniture (hammock) and slept under our mosquito net--she bathed using a bucket and cold water--made coffee using a cheese cloth and washed the dishes outside with the mountains as her backdrop. Mom, you are so awesome. It was sad to see her go, and more than a month later, people are still talking about her!!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Luckily, we went straight into a Close of Service Conference so I was distracted! It was great to see all the other volunteers that arrived 2 years ago--it is very rare indeed that we are all together. We evaluated and made suggestions for our sector specific programs and also talked about DUHN DUHN DUHN THE FUTURE!!! Including the job search and grad school---resumes, interviews, etc... One thing I really liked hearing was that as well intentioned as loved ones may be upon your arrival---you do not have to accept an immediate job offer that your heart isn't in---our boss did a great impression of a mom running to meet you at the plane, giving you maybe 2 days to relax and then waving a bunch of job applications in your face...This is NOT to say that if you really and truly think you know of a great job opportunity for me Not to tell me about it!!! Just know that I am on top of my future! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Which is----applying for Graduate School. I admit it, I am sort of intimidated at the prospect of school after a long hiatus, but feel pretty strongly it's the right choice. I won't go on too much, but it has been challenging applying from Nicaragua, especially Quilali. The frequent power outages, hot weather (no AC), no post office for hours, and tricky transportation situations combined with trying to stay at least somewhat present in my life here add up to a somewhat stressful situation. I feel like every time I sit down at a computer to work on a resume or aspiration statement the power decides to go out...or the free time I have in the day is during the absolute hottest part---when it's tough to be motivated to do much of anything....I also have this fear that due to our crummy roads and the rainy season--I might not even physically be able to get to Managua to take the GRE when the date arrives.....*sigh* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I had a great morning today. The owner of the little store by our house gave me a hand made bracelet and my neighbor gave me challa--a vegetable that grows in her yard. Friends are coming over for dinner at our house--if it doesnt rain and the power stays on---and time is flying. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I expect a more reflective entry is on its way, as the end is so so very near (flying to USA on Nov. 21/leaving Quilali November 12). The weight of insurance, jobs, school, rent, bills, and all the additional responsibilities of being a privileged citizen of the us of a is growing....... -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I already get teary eyed talking of our departure with so many Nica family and friends...I am proud, very proud, of my time here as a volunteer, teacher, friend, and community member--part of my heart will stay here... But i REALLY CANT wait to hug so many people and see so many faces back home! Less than 2 months. Pretty crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a successful PC service.

    If any of your fellow PCVs are moving to the bay area they should check out the company I work for. Amazing group of people, laid back, fun environment. We have lots of jibs openings. http://www.granicus.com/Company/Job-Opportunities.aspx. If they want me to drop their name to the hiring manager, let me know.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete